Sister Rena Miles relocated to the Santa Maria area 1945. With no African-American Baptist churches in the area, Sister Rena Miles and her daughter Rosa Lee Jackson-Kindles united with Springfield Missionary Baptist Church in San Luis Obispo, Ca under the leadership of the Rev. Luther Taylor. Sister Miles was active in the Coast Counties Association and represented the district at the California State Baptist Convention as a delegate.
The Lord gave Sister Miles a vision for a church in Santa Maria. Being a woman of prayer, she began having prayer meetings in her home, seeking the will of God. God answers Prayer.
In 1951, Reverend L. G. Lovelace came to help and God blessed again. The prayer warriors began having services on Sunday afternoons at Trinity Baptist Church in Santa Maria. Reverend Lovelace later found a building for worship at the Santa Maria Airbase on West Foster Road.
On June 3, 1951, St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church was organized by Reverend Luther Taylor. Church present were Springfield Baptist Church of San Luis Obispo and Second Baptist Church of Paso Robles. Three members came by letter from Springfield Baptist Church: Deacon Emanuel Mason, Sister Rena Miles and Sister Rosa Lee Jackson-Kindles Three members came by Christian Experience: Sister Tommie Brown, Sister Clency Brown and Brother Owen Moore. The doors of the Church were opened and Brother James C. (J. C.) Brown was added to the membership. The first two deacons crowned at St. Paul were Deacon Owen Moore and Deacon James C (J. C.) Brown.
1953 – After the resignation of Reverend Lovelace the Church prayed and sought the will of God. God sent Reverend William (W. M.) Brown, a man of prayer form Ita Bena, Mississippi. He came with a desire to win souls for Christ, change lives and change the world. He preached the gospel and many accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior.
1955 – The current property at 1128 Cypress Street was purchased and the building of Saint Paul Missionary Church commenced.
1979 - The property adjacent to the church was purchased.
2005 - The church began the project of remodeling both building.
2009 - Reverend William Brown went home to be with the Lord. St. Paul membership went into prayer and waited for a Pastor after God’s own heart.
2010 – God, without a doubt, answered our prayers. He gave us a man after His own heart. The Reverend James Conver became our Pastor. He brought with him our First-Lady, Sister Ernestine Conver. He came with a vision. He came in humility. He came to labor in God’s vineyard. We are for our Pastor. Our Pastor is for the Members. God is for us all. If God be for us, who can be against us? Souls are being saved. Teaching and preaching is going fourth.
2011-Present: Throughout these past years, Pastor James Conver has made multiple renovation to our home. The outside and inside remodeling is in progress. This includes remolding of the bathrooms, dining room ceiling, walls, pantry/closet, stairway, hallway, storage shed, administrative offices, PA System, pulpit, choir seating and outdoor lighting. He has added 4 pillars to our walls which say: Worship, Fellowship, Scripture and Outreach. The Alter was donated and paid for by Deacon. Earnest Brown in memory of his late brother, Deacon. J. C. Brown. The The inside cross was donated and paid for by the Kindles and Miles families, in memory of Mother Rena Miles and Rev Nelson Kindles. Pastor James Conver has improved the access for wheelchair accessibility along the side of the church. He has also incorporated outdoor activities for our youth and adults (of all ages). The Baptist Training Union has been reactivated. The Church is presently engaged in the Survival kit six week Study. Lastly, we are continuing in prayer, praise and seeking God's will.
Copyright © 2018 SPMBC
All Rights Reserved